Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A New Day, A New Challenge!

If there's one thing I've learned since becoming a mother, it is how to second guess every one of my thoughts or actions.  At every stage so far, when I'm trying to establish a system for doing things, I never trust my first instinct.  I read books and search for solutions online or ask other moms and POMBA (Parents of Multiple Births Association) parents what they do before I decide on anything.  Sometimes, being a new mother sounds like being a new employee, doesn't it?  I don't want to make mistakes, I second guess myself and make sure that I am going about things the best possible way to avoid messing up and upsetting my bosses.  No matter if I am happy or sad, cranky or tired, I put on a smiley face and tend to my bosses.  I do whatever my bosses ask, regardless of if I want to or if I have time.  But there are differences between my job as a mother and my day job; my job as a mother is not limited to 40 hours a week, I do not get paid vacations or sick days. In fact, I do not get a pay cheque at all!  I am paid with kisses and hugs and smiles and giggles; no matter how much I second guess myself each day, this is my assurance that I am doing a good job! 

The latest thing to have me second guessing myself is getting out of the house.  It seems pretty simple, but is far more complicated with two babies.  Now it is further complicated because the boys have outgrown their infant car seats (the really portable ones that snap into a stroller or the bases in the van) and are into convertible seats, so now I have to take each of the boys individually to the van or stroller, strap them in and do the whole process again with the second boy.  Sometimes by the time I get to the second boy, the first is impatient and I have to calm a frustrated baby.  So, the thought of getting out of the house these days is quite intimidating and most times, I convince myself to stay home because it is easier. 

Admittedly, the "easy road" is a road that I often choose to take.  This is something that I vow to work on and my first step towards that is committing to a "Spring into Action" challenge.  I have been placed on a team with POMBA and the challenge is for each team member to get at least 30 minutes per day of physical activity at least five days a week.  The challenge starts on Monday, April 15th and lasts six weeks.  In the past, I would have dismissed the challenge before giving it any thought, but I owe it to myself and my family to change my way of thinking (and work on my fitness at the same time).  I will keep you all updated on the challenge throughout the next few weeks....please check in again!

P.S.  Nicholas said "mama" yesterday and now Lucas is saying it today - what a sweet word! :-)

Nicholas (L), Lucas (R)
Photo taken on March 31, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment