Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

One + One = Five?!

Our story begins when we got our little black lab puppy just after Christmas 2011.  I thought "why not get a puppy? It's not like we have kids or anything that keeps us terribly busy."  So, while visiting family over the holidays, I picked up our little puppy, Nico.  One week later, on my second day back to work after Christmas vacation, we discovered that I was pregnant! We were quite shocked, but the shock turned to excitement (and a little fear!), thinking of all that was to come. 

Fast forward to April, I was 5 months pregnant and hubby** and I went to the hospital for our first ultrasound which led to more shock and surprise - the ultrasound tech said "there are 2"....meaning twins!  Hubby had been teasing me that we would have twins since we found out that I was expecting, but I never gave it any consideration.  In a few months' time, we would have two babies and a puppy - life would never be the same!  My pregnancy flew by, likely due to the fact that we had two babies to prepare for and a puppy in obedience classes - just a taste of the busy life that would come.

**after being together for almost 7 years, I feel like I have earned the right to call him hubby even though we aren't "technically" married!

On August 13, 2012, after 19 hours in labor (you didn't think you were going to get through this without me mentioning the labor, did you?!) we were blessed with our two boys.  Lucas came first and Nicholas came 50 minutes later (50 minutes = an eternity!).  We don't have much family in town, so thankfully, we had some come from out of town to help us for the first couple weeks, which of course, were a blur.  In fact, it's been a blur since they have arrived!

Lucas and Nicholas are now 7.5 months old and are, thankfully, very happy and healthy.  Each of the boys have developed their own unique personalities - Lucas being the mischievous, smiley boy who likes to snuggle but only on his terms, is very active and seems to have taken on his father's personality.  I expect to see him crawling any day now.  Nicholas is also very happy, but is not in a hurry to do anything - he is very laid back and he is always up for a good snuggle.  Maybe he will surprise me, as he seems to be the one to catch on to things first, but I don't expect to see Nicholas crawl for quite a while!  Admittedly, it seems that Nicholas has inherited my personality!

When I was pregnant, I thought a lot about the negative aspects of having multiples, like how I would take care of two crying babies, how we would be able to afford child care for two children, temper tantrums times two, etc.  Life's biggest change since the boys is having to think every little thing through and plan every little step before we do things, from doing housework (low on the priority list these days), to trips to the grocery store - things that required little to no thought before the babies came along. Another challenge is that I don't have much time to myself for hobbies that I enjoy and date nights with hubby are pretty much a thing of the past, at least for now, but we're making it through!

I won't lie, there have been times when I want to pull my hair out, but they are few and far between.  The frequency of those pull-my-hair-out moments may change once I have two mobile babies getting into everything or two going through the terrible-twos or two teenagers!  But at least once a day, we say how lucky we are and how we wouldn't change a thing.  Just think, we get double the smiles, double the snuggles, double the love!  And every night when we give them their bedtime bottles and they lie limp in our arms, any worries of the day are miles and miles away.

As for Nico, she is about a year and a half and is starting to calm down.  She is so good with the boys; she is protective and takes comfort in lying down beside them as they play (and pull at her ears and tail). We are proud of our fur baby as well and looking back, we wouldn't change a thing!


Nicholas (L), Nico & Lucas (R)
Photo taken January 30, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment